M.F.A., Writing, Pratt Institute, 2018
Advisor: Christian Hawkey
B.A., Magna Cum Laude, Wake Forest University, 2015
Minors: Creative Writing and Women’s, Gender & Sexuality Studies
Printed and Digital Publications
Scalawag magazine, a magazine that amplifies the voices of organizers, artists, and writers to reckon with Southern realities, poem "The Waiting Room," December 2019
Apogee Issue 11, a journal of literature and art that engages with identity politics, including but not limited to: race, gender, sexuality, class, ability, and intersectional identities, poem “Woman with Death on Her Mind,” December 2018
Femmescapes Vol. 4, A magazine of queer and trans affinities with femmeness, poem “what of smoke?” Summer 2018https://www.etsy.com/listing/639483507/pdf-of-femmescapes-4
eyemocean, A self-published chapbook, Spring 2018
The Felt Issue 3, poem “Glamour,” Spring 2018
The Felt Issue 2, A journal of poetry and prose produced by Pratt Institute’s MFA in Writing to cultivate emancipatory poetics, poem “The Waiting Room,” Spring 2017
Fanzine, poem “Free Bresha, Free Us” published Fall 2016
Anj, poem “Sestina August 2015 – August 2016” published online in a project with original photography by mixed-media artist Ashley Johnson, Fall 2016 http://www.hiaj.co/sisters/
The Pub, online Wake Forest University student literary publication for editorial and creative work, poem “Yik Yak” published, Fall 2014
3 to 4 Ounces, Wake Forest University student creative writing publication, pieces published in Spring 2012, Fall 2012, Spring 2014, Fall 2014
Inside My World, the Live Poets Society of NJ’s compilation of American High School Poets, poem “Scrapbook Room” published Spring/Summer 2011
Sunshine @ Midnight, self-published book of poems on Lulu.com, Summer 2008
Public Performances and Live Creative Work
The Moon Show – Performance series in Brooklyn, aiming to create an anti-racist, queer, trans, intersectional, intergenerational, feminist space, featured performer, August 2017
The Leslie Scalapino Lecture in Innovative Poetics - An annual lecture series hosted by Pratt Institute - GA(S)P: BREATH, COMMUNITY, AND POETRY, reader for M. NourbeSe Philip's “The Redemption of Al Bumen (A Morality Play),” Spring 2017, https://talks.pratt.edu/media/t/1_pcw940f3
Humanity in Action Interreligious Dialogue in American Politics – hosted at Union Theological Seminary, featured performer - “Free Bresha, Free Us” “Oversight” and “Maya Angelou Mashup Verses,” Fall 2016
Union Theological Seminary Black Women's Caucus Chapel service - "Before the Harvest," November 2015.
Red Bird, Blue Bird – staged at Wake Forest University with full cast, costume, and lighting my original one-act play, written in London, Spring 2014, https://youtu.be/NU92QurSFSs
Generation heART showcase – performed “Welcome to Wake” with dancer Christopher Gonzalez, Spring 2014, https://youtu.be/K15nBumkXYc
#WakeUPWakeForest – my poem, “Welcome to Wake,” was excerpted for the short film, #WakeUPWakeForest, which was directed by graduate film studies students on police discrimination on campus, Fall 2014, https://youtu.be/i2hM7y1y-e4
Duke University Press Durham, NC
Editorial Associate June 2018-October 2019
- Manage 40-45 active book projects for the editorial director in all activities leading to publication, including acting as a personal assistant and overseeing tasks such as issuing contracts and dealing with royalties.
- Communicate with authors, reviewers and academics throughout review, contract and revision stage.
- Vet rights and permissions for books.
- Proficient use of Adobe Acrobat.
- Organize and research projects on tight deadlines and summarize written material for board meetings.
- Coordinate with other in-house teams, writers, photographers, printers, designers and production staff to negotiate and monitor timescales for stages in the publishing process.
- Filing, photocopying and other routine administrative tasks.
Pratt Institute Brooklyn, NY
Graduate Assistantship in Photography August 2017 - May 2018
- Attended the Pratt Institute’s Graduate Writing program events and documented the reading series speakers for the 2017-2018 school year.
- Composed, organized, and curated photos to be published and used by the Graduate Writing program.
Peppercorn Theatre at the Children’s Museum Winston-Salem, NC
Intern Summer 2014
- Worked as a dramaturge on an original play, Fantastic Endeavour, written and performed by local artists.
- Assisted in writing, marketing, and distributing press releases for four original shows.
- Ushered, participated in strike and logistics planning for the traveling performance.
Hanes Art Gallery, Wake Forest University Winston-Salem, NC
Front Desk Assistant August 2011 - May 2015
- Assisted in the review, transfer, and cataloging of art work between gallery staff and artists.
- Helped plan and execute gallery receptions with a student team, including greeting gallery guests and serving as hostess.
- Assisted with installation and de-installation of gallery exhibits.
- Promoted exhibition publicity via social media.
Alexander Family YMCA Raleigh, NC
Lead Counselor Summers of 11’, 12’, 13’
- Supervised groups of about 25 school-aged children with energy, enthusiasm, and a sense of humor.
- Organized, led, and promoted interest in activities such as swimming, arts and crafts, devotions and playing games.
- Assessed the needs and interests of individuals and groups and planned activities accordingly, given the available equipment or facilities.
- Manage the daily operations of recreational facilities.
- Administer first aid according to prescribed procedures and notify emergency medical personnel when necessary.
Poetry Workshop/Teaching Experience
The Octavia Project Brooklyn, NY
Poetry Workshop Facilitator Summer 2017
- Developed poetry workshop curriculum and prepared instructional material for students’ creative development
- Initiated, facilitated, and moderated workshop discussions.
- Evaluated student’s creative work and provided tailored feedback and constructive suggestions.
Spoonbill & Sugartown, Booksellers Brooklyn, NY
Workshop Facilitator December 2017
- I taught Dreaming Double, a pay-what-you-can poetry workshop which bridged sleeping and waking dream lives through poetry, using it as a malleable dream space. My workshop was a part of a four workshop series at Spoonbill called “Speculative Imagination.”
Mott Haven Reformed Church Bronx, NY
Workshop Facilitator December 2016
- B.R.E.A.T.H.E.: Circle for My Sistas Winter Retreat – I was a featured performer and workshop leader, teaching the poetry of Lucille Clifton. This event is a free intergenerational retreat for women of African descent to be free and in community with one another, encouraging Balance, Restoration, Empowerment, Affirmation, Transformation, Healing, and Embodiment.
G. McLeod Bryant Pro Humanitate Award, Wake Forest University Winston-Salem, NC
Excellence in Community Service Spring 2015
Wake Up To Poetry contest, Wake Forest University Press Winston-Salem, NC
Honorable Mention Spring 2014
Earth Poetry Contest, Writers’ Ink Guild of Cumberland County Fayetteville, NC
Second Place Spring 2011
Organizations and Memberships
“Can-I-Poet” Spoken Word Group, Wake Forest University Winston-Salem, NC
Alumna Aug 2011 - May 2015
Forward-Together! An Interest Group for the NC NAACP Winston-Salem, NC
Steering Committee Member Aug 2013 - May 2015
NC Poetry Society North Carolina
Student Member Aug 2013 - May 2015
Member August 2018-present